Wednesday, February 27, 2008

10 Things I Need to Do Before I Turn 25

See that thing in the middle of that picture? It's called a rut. Right now in my life, I am in one. I'm usually a very upbeat, optimistic young man. But so far 2008 has started off, well, shit-tastically. Between my poor health, car troubles, and relationship issues, it's been less than stellar. To be honest, up to this point in my life I haven't really had to make any truly important decisions. I really haven't. I also realized that in 10 short months I will be 25 years old. A quarter of a century. I graduated over a year ago with a (fun, light workload) major that basically gives you nothing for the 'real world' (Hollerrrr @ journalism majors....!) and still have no full time job. To break out of this proverbial 'rut', I've come up with something I've never done before.

I wrote down goals for myself.

I've never read any self help books or anything like them, but I do know making goals for yourself is healthy and can help you 'find out who you really are' or . . . some dumb zen mind-body-soul type shit. I'm not sure. Some aren't even goals, but are just things I want to accomplish before my next birthday. They are not in order of importance. I usually don't get too personal with the stuff I write here, so read with that in mind I guess.

Below is what I wrote, verbatim, in a notebook:

Things that need to happen before I turn 25
1.) Work Out. Fucking do it.
2.) Eat Vitamins. They'll only help.
3.) Limit Alcohol Consumption. Boo too much of a good thing.
4.) Play the Lottery. Can't win if you don't play!
5.) Talk to Strangers. Break out of the shell.
6.) Get a Job. Not having one is hurting my wallet, and possibly, my self esteem.
7.) Don't Worry. Worrying gets you nowhere. Things will fall into place.
8.) Get a tattoo. Aesthetically pleasing & something I deeply care about.
9.) Travel More. Find a way to travel on a slim budget.
10.) Get rid of Unnecessary personal possessions. Some things collect dust. Some people have a use for those things.

Will I follow through with any of them? Maybe. Probably not. Hopefully. But if I accomplish one or more, perhaps I'll be better from it. Who knows.
Sappy blog post check - 1. I'll try to stick to my moronic and slightly chuckle-worthy self from now on. In the meantime, wrap it up, kids.

1 comment:

deuddersun said...

Don't worry Brother. I am 57 years old, over half a fucking century, and I still don't know what I wanna do when I grow up. In the meantime, I've filled my daze building scenery for TV and movies. Great job, but not my final "goal". Will I ever achieve that "goal"? I don't know, but while I'm on my way I'm having fun and making money so it ain't too bad.

Relax. It will come to you, but first, if you wanna work in Advertising or Journalism, you're in the wrong place. You wanna be a dairy farmer, stay where you are. You wanna be a copy-writer or journalist, go East young man, go East.

d.